It’s totally cliché, but where the hell has this year gone? With today being the very last day of 2013 I figured I’d do a quick “Year in Review” post to talk about my progress with reading challenges and also to discuss my favorite books of the year!
Quick rundown on how I did with my reading challenges: I successfully read 120 books this year. In fact, as of the time of writing this post I am at 199 books for the year! (WOOT!) You can see all the books I’ve read with links to their reviews here. Now, a bit of bad news. I utterly failed (for the second year in a row) the audio book challenge. I didn’t listen to 1 audio book this year (read: pathetic.) I also didn’t do so great with the Book to Movie challenge either, with only 2 out of 12 read. Now, to the good news: I completed 78% of the Color Coded Challenge, or 7 out of 9 reads. I actually had a blast doing this challenge. You don’t realize how many books use colors in their titles until you do a challenge like this! Additionally, I unsurprisingly completed the Historical Fiction Challenge as well as the Pride and Prejudice Bicentenary challenge with no trouble at all.
And now for the difficult part: Picking my favorite reads of 2013.
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
- The Lavender Garden by Lucinda Riley (look for my review next week!!!)
- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
- The Story Guy by Mary Ann Rivers/Making It Last by Ruthie Knox
- Beauty and the Billionaire by Jessica Clare
- Blackmoore by Julianne Donaldson
- Death in the Floating City by Tasha Alexander/Easy by Tammara Webber
- Shades of Earth by Beth Revis
- Twice Tempted by Jeaniene Frost
- The Secret of Ella and Micha/The Forever of Ella and Micha by Jessica Sorensen
Having read almost 200 books this year, choosing 10 (really 12) of my favorites almost killed me. So, in the effort of easing my conscience I’m giving you some of my runners-up (in no particular order)!
- Pride, Prejudice, and the Perfect Match by Marilyn Brant
- The Edelstein Trilogie by Kersin Gier (Book one, two, & three)
- The Westfield Wolves/Regency Vampyre Series by Lydia Dare
- Return to Longbourn by Shannon Winslow
- The Tutor’s Daughter by Julie Klassen
- Losing It by Cora Carmack
- Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
- Bittersweet by Noelle Adams
This was hands down the hardest year yet to pick my favorite books. When you read almost 200 books in a year I guess that should be expected, no?
Ok, the burden is being passed to you. What did you love reading this year?!? Please let us know below. And finally, enjoy the rest of your New Year’s Day, hopefully with a great book. See you in 2014!